Website portals were introduced in the digital world to provide a structured, navigable interface for people's online experience. In literal terms, web portal is the entrance to any website which is specially designed to serve as dynamic user-centric repository of current and consistent information.
These are often the first pages; your web browser loads when you connect your electronic devices to Internet and helps in search navigation, personalized content and push-up notifications. The market for web portals is increasingly flourishing with focus on the delivery of organized user-friendly browsing experience.
A successful portal should be able to provide the users appropriate information as per the user's role. These key features in your web portal will help your business increase the usage for both your Internet and extranet deployments.
- Besides the basic information, a portal will be entitled successful if it allows the users to voluntarily personalize the information showcased by the portal specifically tailored to their needs and preferences. Whether it is personalization of navigation by creating shortcuts to specific information with bookmarks or personalization of layout in terms of color and size.
- A successful portal consists of a good collaboration between multiple sites to provide well- integrated information sourced from various places. It must ensure that information is stored in the right place structured in right mode to provide convenience for the user to access it.
- A successful portal should be adaptive and flexible. It must be well aware of the schedule and workflow of its users thus will be able to provide them with the appropriate piece of information at right time.
- Search functionality inbuilt in your portal should be able to answer both structured and unstructured content related queries.
In today's wired world where each and every human being is connected to each other through web, portal has become a crucial part of businesses whether it is small or large sized. A web portal, which is well designed and developed, provides companies with wide range of benefits in both customers and business aspects.
- By developing a good portal with basic functionalities built in it, you can provide your customers with broad array of information gathered from diverse sources in a unified and structured way. Your customers need not navigate through multiple sites to fish out a piece on information rather they can reply on your web portals thus improving their credibility in your business.
- To businesses, web portals help them reach out to their potential customers globally with ease.
- As every online user has different set of needs and desires so web portal allows the users customize the portal pages as per their requirements. More the information is personalized, more the chances of customers stick to that website thus leading to more sales.
- Once users have signed up for email-notification, web portal will let the users know about the changes in the information they are interested in the form of alerts.
Now that you have enough knowledge about the advantages a web portal offer, lets walk in the journey of an effective web portal development.
STEP 1- IDENTIFY BUSINESS NEEDS
Before embarking this journey, you must gain an in-depth understanding of your business needs and objectives.
STEP 2- EVALUATE THE VARIOUS TECHNOLOGY ALTERNATIVES.
Once you have sketched your business goals in black and white, you can look for various technologies available to meet your business requirements in best possible way.
STEP 3- CHOOSE THE BEST OUT OF THE REST
This step is the most crucial because layout of your web portal will be finalized in this stage. You must review each and every aspect of your web portal very carefully including how the information will be showcased, what will be layout, and how the technology will be implemented to avoid any error.
STEP 4- SPECIFY THE GUIDELINES
Once the design has been finalized, the next step is to craft the guidelines specifying the limit for customization, product criterion and its flexibility.
STEP 5- CONDUCT USABILITY TESTING
This step is very important, as unless the portal you have developed is not providing user-friendly experience, it is an absolute waste of all resources you spend on its development. Usability testing should be done to ensure that staff and even your potential customers could easily navigate and complete common tasks.
STEP 6- TIME TO LAUNCH
Once your web portal has passed the usability test, finally it's time to launch your web portal.
Make sure that you have opted the appropriate portal development company that understands your work requirements rightly. If in doubt, choose SOLUTREE.
When companies look for alternatives in order to satisfy the need and wants of their potential customers, web portal is the best choice they can opt for as it provides a platform where a common group of people based on occupation or age linked together and get access to the real-time, current information sourced from various web locations.